Did you know that poor sleep can affect your skin?
Here are some things that happen when you aren’t sleeping well:
- Poor sleep creates increased stress on the body leading to cortisol release and inflammation. This can in turn worsen existing skin conditions such as psoriasis, acne, eczema and rosacea.
- An increased breakdown of collagen and hyaluronic acid may result in a loss of natural glow, bounce and translucency
- Decreased blood flow can lead to dull appearing skin and hair loss
- Poor water balance can worsen the appearance of baggy eyes, wrinkles and dryness
- Decreased release of growth hormone leads to an accumulation of damaged cells and aging
- Finally, excess snacking and calorie consumption during the day can lead to weight gain
Here are some tips for healthy sleep:
- Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night
- Don’t eat a big meal too late in the day – when you eat a big meal before you go to sleep, your body reroutes its energy towards digestion and away from restoration.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated and to keep your blood flowing
- Sleep in a cool, dark, quiet room
- Keep electronics out of the bedroom – exposure to light late in the day can trick your body into thinking its daytime!
- Use breathable cotton sheets and wash them regularly, so they don’t collect dust mites and bacteria
- Use laundry detergents that don’t have strong fragrances, which can be irritating to skin
Here are a few fun and simple do it yourself at home face masks for glowing skin to brighten this gloomy Friday!
Organic Banana Face Mask
• Mash up 1/2 a banana with a fork in a bowl. Add 1 teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon orange juice and mix. Apply to face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Rinse, pat dry, and then apply moisturizer!
Brown Sugar Honey Face Mask
• Mix 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon brown sugar together. Apply to face and leave it on for 20 minutes. Rinse, pat dry, and apply moisturizer!
Avocado Yogurt Face Mask
• Mash up 1/4 of a ripe avocado in a bowl until lump free. Add 1 teaspoon of plain yogurt and 1/2 teaspoon of honey. Stir until you get a paste consistency. Apply to the face for 10-15 minutes (or until it dries out). Rinse, pat dry and apply moisturizer!
*Repeat masks twice a week for best results!
If you are running low on your skincare products that you have purchased exclusively from our office – whether it is from Dr. Madfes’ skincare line, or any of our partner product companies, we have great news!
We will be designating Wednesdays as our “ship out” days. Please text the office at 212-249-8118 with your full name, shipping address, and the product(s) you need ideally by Tuesday evenings.
Please note: there is a USPS priority mail shipping charge of $8 and we will also be sending a credit card authorization form for payment.
Hope everyone is doing well! Have a great weekend!
We are now offering POLY Go to those who are looking for a handheld, portable LED light therapy device to use at home!
POLY Go is great for helping those with acne problems, restoring and rejuvenating skin or treating sore & achy muscles!
The device gives you 4.5 hours of battery life and comes with 3 interchangeable treatment options – blue head for acne, red head for skin rejuvenation, or red/infrared combo head for pain management.
The office is currently selling the device for $225. For more information on the product, please visit https://www.mypolyled.com/go/
In the DailyMail article below, Dr. Diane Madfes discusses the importance of applying sunscreen AT HOME to prevent skin aging. Enjoy!
Our practice may be temporarily closed, but our product shelves are fully stocked with ALASTIN Skincare® for you. Visit https://www.alastin.com/dianemadfesmd for all of your product needs. Because we all know that we still need our skincare routines on point during this downtime.
*Free 2 Business Day shipping is being offered on all orders placed with the use of this code:
FREESHIP2DAY (valid 4/1/20 through 4/15/20)