The EMSELLA is a new treatment that uses magnetic energy to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, all while you’re fully clothed. This energy, commonly referred to as HIFEM (High Intensity Focused Electromagnetic), stimulates contractions of the muscles around the pelvic floor; like doing Kegels without any effort. One 28 minute session will cause 11,200 contractions, the equivalent of performing 11,200 Kegel exercises. HIFEM has been around for a few decades and has also been used to cause muscle contractions in other body areas. Read more
You may have heard that one in five Americans will develop skin cancer. But did you know that when caught early, skin cancer has a 98% cure rate! That’s why raising awareness about skin cancer prevention and detection is so important to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) and its members. It’s also why I’m participating in the SKIN CANCER TAKE A HIKE event.
Please support my efforts: http://events.aad.org/goto/diane
Your donation to my hike will help the AAD:
- provide free skin cancer screenings for more people across the country,
- offer free resources to help teach kids and others how to protect their skin,
- build permanent shade for outdoor community and play areas, and more.
Your donation will help save lives! Our goal is a world without skin cancer…and we need your help to get there.
On September 20th, Dr. Williams spoke at the HAPPI Anti-Aging Conference in New Brunswick about the molecular mechanisms of skin aging. Some of the highlights from her talk include:
1) Skin aging reflects global aging, and skin aging the same way other organs do. Because skin is so visible these aging changes are readily apparent, sometimes to our chagrin.
2) Skin aging may be broken down into 2 categories: intrinsic aging and extrinsic aging. Intrinsic aging is a function of the passage of time; also known as chronological aging. Extrinsic aging is the result of environment and lifestyle, and includes sun exposure, smoking, pollution, etc. Dr. Williams emphasized that the sun is a major carcinogen and “age accelerator.”
3) Skin aging is more than just wrinkles. As we age, skin starts to thin, sag, and can hyperpigment. There is loss of subcutaneous fat, and therefore skin can bruise more easily. Skin gets dehydrated, and therefore prone to eczema (dryness, cracking). Eczematous skin is prone to infection and does not heal well after any trauma, etc.
4) On a molecular level there are several theories of aging that all work in tandem:
mitochondrial DNA mutations
5) All of the above lead to Cellular Senescence. Senescent cells are cells that are no longer replicating. When skin cells become senescent they stop replicating, hence skin ages. A common misconception is that senescent cells are resting, and not active. To the contrary, Dr. Williams talked about the “Senescence Associated Secretory Phenotype” which is a mixture of pro-inflammatory molecules that these “resting” cells are very busy making. All these cytokines lead to chronic inflammation, which has harmful effects.
6) Diabetics have accelerated skin aging. Under the microscope their collagen bundles are all disorganized!
This may be due to the high amount of Advanced Glycation End Products. AGEs are the result of glucose bonding to other molecules such as proteins. AGEs are destructive to cells. They can cause mutations, block normal functions, and lead to wrinkling and hyperpigmentation. Maintaining normal blood sugar levels, and avoiding diabetes, is a major anti-aging action!
7) Lastly, Dr. Williams turned the audience’s attention to the importance of FAT in looking youthful. The face is fat pads that form an important cushion for the soft tissue envelope. As we age we lose facial fat. This causes hollowing and shadows. In addition, patients with low BMIs who are malnourished lose a lot of fat in their faces. This causes an aged look.
miraDry is one of the few permanent solutions for underarm sweating, also known as Primary Axillary Hyperhidrosis. Unlike medications (which have side effects) or Botox injections (which wear off), miraDry leads to permanent reduction in sweat.
miraDry is FDA approved and takes approximately 90 minutes in the office. At our office, the entire procedure from start-to-finish is performed by the doctor. During the consultation the doctor will inquire about your medical history and perform a special test called the Starch Iodine Test, to see where you are actually sweating. Next, the underarm skin is numbed with local anesthesia; this is actually the most important step in the entire treatment since your comfort is our #1 priority. Finally, you are ready to start the treatment. Each armpit requires approximately 20-30 minutes treatment time, and you are able to lie on your back throughout.
Downtime varies but the average patient reports 3-5 days of mild soreness and swelling. These are normal and temporary side effects, and are relieved with over-the-counter pain medication and frequent icing of the area. Results are noticeable within 24-48 hours. There are no hard restrictions after the treatment however we recommend that you rest for 12-24 hours. It may be difficult to do upper body exercise for the week after the treatment, so if you’re an avid tennis player, for example, just make sure to schedule your treatment appropriately.
Hyperhidrosis is a diagnosable medical condition, and getting relief is possible with miraDry. In our experience, both men and women respond well; men in particular are excited about the “cosmetic” aspect of doing something that feels good for themselves, yet still treating a medical condition. By treating hyperhidrosis and all the stress, anxiety and embarassment that it can cause, miraDry addresses both medical and cosmetic concerns at once.
Runners and other athletes who feel that underarm sweating is a problem are also great candidates. Dr. Williams, creator of The Runner Lift, has found that runners have distinct dermatologic needs, from medical to cosmetic. Runners with hyperhidrosis do very well with miraDry and self-report significant improvements in their training and performance.
Finally, long-term data on miraDry shows that it also mildly reduces underarm hair. Women with blonde or very light brown hairs who previously failed laser hair removal or who want to reduce underarm sweat are particularly great candidates, and the treatment can be tailored for them.
For more information, or to read actual patient reviews and testimonials about miraDry, check out the miraDry page on RealSelf.
- FDA approved
- Highly effective for eliminating unwanted fat
- Can be used on the flanks, abdomen, and other areas with unwanted fat
- Non-surgical and non-invasive
- No anesthesia
- Treatments take 25 minutes
- You can go back to work the same day!
RSVP by calling 212-249-8118. Spots are limited.
Welcoming Dr. Esther Williams as our new associate to our practice. Dr. Williams is a dermatologist specializing in medical and cosmetic dermatology. Dr. Williams graduated with honors from Barnard College with a double major in Premedical Sciences and History and received her medical degree from Albert Einstein. She completed her dermatology residency https://www.247autolocksmith.com at SUNY Downstate and conducted melanoma and dermoscopy research at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
See her full bio and philosophy of care on Our Physicians page.
Please call us with your questions and to make your appointment.
1 E 69th St
(at the corner of 5th Avenue)
New York, NY 10021
4 Dearfield Drive, Suite 106
Greenwich, CT 06831