https://dianemadfes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/MADFES_LOGO_428_2.png 0 0 Krystle https://dianemadfes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/MADFES_LOGO_428_2.png Krystle2020-04-29 12:30:512020-04-29 12:21:41Poor Sleep Can Affect Your Skin...
Did you know that poor sleep can affect your skin?
Here are some things that happen when you aren’t sleeping well:
- Poor sleep creates increased stress on the body leading to cortisol release and inflammation. This can in turn worsen existing skin conditions such as psoriasis, acne, eczema and rosacea.
- An increased breakdown of collagen and hyaluronic acid may result in a loss of natural glow, bounce and translucency
- Decreased blood flow can lead to dull appearing skin and hair loss
- Poor water balance can worsen the appearance of baggy eyes, wrinkles and dryness
- Decreased release of growth hormone leads to an accumulation of damaged cells and aging
- Finally, excess snacking and calorie consumption during the day can lead to weight gain
Here are some tips for healthy sleep:
- Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night
- Don’t eat a big meal too late in the day – when you eat a big meal before you go to sleep, your body reroutes its energy towards digestion and away from restoration.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated and to keep your blood flowing
- Sleep in a cool, dark, quiet room
- Keep electronics out of the bedroom – exposure to light late in the day can trick your body into thinking its daytime!
- Use breathable cotton sheets and wash them regularly, so they don’t collect dust mites and bacteria
- Use laundry detergents that don’t have strong fragrances, which can be irritating to skin