https://dianemadfes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/MADFES_LOGO_428_2.png 0 0 Krystle https://dianemadfes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/MADFES_LOGO_428_2.png Krystle2020-04-29 12:30:512020-04-29 12:21:41Poor Sleep Can Affect Your Skin...
Poor Sleep Can Affect Your Skin…
Did you know that poor sleep can affect your skin?
Here are some things that happen when you aren’t sleeping well:
- Poor sleep creates increased stress on the body leading to cortisol release and inflammation. This can in turn worsen existing skin conditions such as psoriasis, acne, eczema and rosacea.
- An increased breakdown of collagen and hyaluronic acid may result in a loss of natural glow, bounce and translucency
- Decreased blood flow can lead to dull appearing skin and hair loss
- Poor water balance can worsen the appearance of baggy eyes, wrinkles and dryness
- Decreased release of growth hormone leads to an accumulation of damaged cells and aging
- Finally, excess snacking and calorie consumption during the day can lead to weight gain
Here are some tips for healthy sleep:
- Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night
- Don’t eat a big meal too late in the day – when you eat a big meal before you go to sleep, your body reroutes its energy towards digestion and away from restoration.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated and to keep your blood flowing
- Sleep in a cool, dark, quiet room
- Keep electronics out of the bedroom – exposure to light late in the day can trick your body into thinking its daytime!
- Use breathable cotton sheets and wash them regularly, so they don’t collect dust mites and bacteria
- Use laundry detergents that don’t have strong fragrances, which can be irritating to skin